Friday, April 18, 2008

5.2

Well, if you have seen the news today maybe there was a blurb about an earthquake in the midwest....yes, it really happened. But wait, let me go back...


Last night a friend of Ryan's dropped off her dog for us to "babysit" for the weekend while she goes out of town. Bella is a one year old fawn boxer (brown with a white chest) and she is absolutely adorable. She and Rocky played and played and played all night. And I do mean ALL NIGHT! They were constantly waking us up last night. Finally, Rocky pooped out around 4:00am and Bella finally passed out around 4:30.

Next thing I know, I feel Bella jump off of me and run to our open windows and start barking like mad. Ryan props up on one elbow and I groan in frustration. I can hear other dogs in the neighborhood barking and I figure it's one of those "dog conversations," when suddenly...

The bed begins to shake and the pictures on our walls start to vibrate and bang on the walls.
"Honey!" Ryan says bewildered, throwing his arm onto me like a soccer mom. "Do you feel that?"
"Yeah! Is it the wind?" I ask in a fog. At this point I start to feel a twinge of fear thinking a tornado is coming but it only lasts a microsecond as I wake up and realize...
At the same time we both look at each other and say, "Is it an earthquake?!"
"Must be." I said as the vibrations stop and everything is quiet.

Now, it is widely known that animals can sense when these things happen. For example, Bella and the neighborhood dogs going crazy. Now wouldn't you know it that we happen to have the one animal that must be defective in this area! What did Rocky do? He was fast asleep, SNORING until the bed began to shake!
How did Dammit handle it? I don't know! After the incident I see that Dammit the Cat is no where to be found!!! Usually she is curled up on over half of my pillow, but obviously knew this was coming and took off to find a safe spot...leaving the rest of us with no idea!! Way to only think of only herself!

Anyway, we survived with no damage...it really wasn't that bad around us. A lot of people slept right through it. We turned on the news and people were all ready calling in. The anchors were hilarious! They kept asking, "So, what did you feeeel when the earthquake hit?" Every one of them would answer, "Well...I felt a lot of shaking." No kidding?

No comments: