Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Good to know


Last night Ryan and I had some alone time together for the first time in about a week and a half. It's been insanely busy for the both of us. So we got in our sweats (cuz it's a balmy 8 degrees at night) and lay on the couch- position #1, prime position for mutual foot rubbing. We start watching Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles on t.v. (you know, cuz we're classy) and we hear:

Crunch, crunch, crunch.....crunch, crunch

"What is that? It sounds like plastic breaking?" I ask Ryan as I realize it's coming from behind the couch. "Rocky," I think. So I lean over the back of the couch and see him hard at work. His profession of choice? Destruction. He is chewing up something so I reach down and grab it from him. In my hand is a slimey, half-chewed prescription bottle.
"Uh-oh." I say. I look on the ground and there are about 20 little white pills at Rocky's feet. "NO!!!" I yell.
"WHAT?!" Ryan replies.

I tell him what I found and he answers with a few choice words along with, "What do we do?"
"Can you call poison control for a dog?" I ask. "Call a 24 hour vet!"
Ryan bolts upstairs while I clean up the mess and gets a number. He calls and gets a vet tech and explains the situation. They ask us a bunch of questions about Ryan's medication and Rocky's weight, etc. The doctor gets on the phone and tells us that we can do a couple of things:
1. Bring him in and get his stomach pumped or give him activated charcoal.
2. Pour half-a-cup of hydrogen peroxide down his throat and wait for him to barf.
3. Watch and wait, cuz the amount and type of meds probably won't kill him (yep, he said probably)


We opt for plan 2 cuz we have hydrogen peroxide in our cabinet in the bathroom. Ryan grabs the dog and we pull him into the bathtub. He holds Rocky and forces his mouth open while I dump what I guess to be half of a cup down his throat. We let him go and he sits there and stares at the two of us like, "What?" We stare back at him for about 30 seconds waiting for the eruption. Nothing. Rocky starts sniffing around the tub and licking up the peroxide that spilled all around him. Great.
"How old is the peroxide?" Ryan asks.
"There's no date." I say examining the bottle.
"Hmmm. I guess we wait and see if he dies." Ryan says.
"HONEY!" I say.


We walk downstairs to resume our couch lying and movie hoping that the dog "probably won't be killed." After about five minutes Rocky runs to a corner infront of the kitchen (yep still on the carpet) and starts making a weird hacking noise.

"OH CRAP!" I say and try to jump up from the couch. However, I am caught under one of Ryan's legs and immediately get my other leg tangled in the blanket I am using. Ryan in the mean time is caught under the leg I am trying desperately to get untangled by kicking it. If Ryan moved an inch he probably would have been whacked in the face. Somehow I break free and lunge for the dog just in time to hear: SPLAT.
"Ewww." I say standing up straight, looking at a mountain of foam and chewed up dog food. "It's all foamy."
"Gross." Ryan says sitting up from the couch. "What is-"
HACK, HACK HACK HACK, HACK, HACK, HACK

"Get the dog!" we yell in unison. Ryan gets to him first, behind the couch and we drag him outside. He threw up about 4 more times.

Moral of the story: Hydrogen peroxide can make a dog throw up. Good to know.

No comments: